AQA PSYA1 JAN 2013

• -1 votes

Predictions for what the essay question may be ? Think it might be on attachment.

Also can someone help me with the cognitive interview and cultural variations of attachment?

Posted Thu 3rd January, 2013 @ 22:24 by ax5za

1 Answer

• 1 vote

Cultural variations in attachment are as a result of the different child rearing practices used in different culutres resulting in different definitions of what it is to be secure, insecure avoidant and insecure resistant, the Strange Situation also has a strong western bias. For example Grossman and Grossman's replication of the Strange Situation in Germany, they found that children were more likely to be classified as insecure rather than secure but their child rearing practices involved encouraging independence so the child appears to be insecure even though they may not be. The Cognitive Interview is a more reliable and accurate method of interview when asking participants to recall a certain event rather than eye witness testimony. Participants may be asked to report everything where they tell the interviewer everything in their memory even though it may seem irrelevant. They may be asked to change the order of events e.g. start describing the incident from when it had already happened and work backwards as oppossed to vice vera. Participants may also be asked to change the perspective of events i.e. they may be asked to describe events as if they were watching from somebody else's point of view. Participants may also be asked to reinstate the context i.e. recall the scene, describing what you were thinking and feeling at the time, the weather at the time etc.

Answered Fri 4th January, 2013 @ 11:08 by Ian