Anyone doing Classical Greek this summer (2012)?

Showing 1 to 8 of 8

I am.

Prose = Herodotus, Battle of Salamis.

Verse = Homer, Iliad VI lines 369-502.

So bored of it though, can't wait until I finish it.

Posted: 11-04-12 11:03 by Tristan

YES, me!

It's nice to find someone else, though - this forum's been pretty empty compared to most other subjects! I'm doing Salamis for prose too, but Euripides' Helen for verse. I love Greek, though - definitely want to continue it!

Posted: 28-04-12 22:40 by Kathy

Kathy wrote:

YES, me!

It's nice to find someone else, though - this forum's been pretty empty compared to most other subjects! I'm doing Salamis for prose too, but Euripides' Helen for verse. I love Greek, though - definitely want to continue it!

YAY someone else is actually doing it! What are your tips (both for literature and language)? Personally, for the literature I make sure I know the exact meaning of each word so I can scrutinise the passage in essays. Have you got any advice for the essays because I never get very good marks in them, though. I really want to get at least a B but my teacher is awful :(

Posted: 11-05-12 19:02 by Tristan

Well, my first tip would be to REVISE (something I'm being a bit slow at...)

For lit I'm doing the same as you - making sure I can match individual words. For the essays, I think you need to try and make convincing, relevant points and back everything up. Definitely try and quote the Greek in your answers. 

Language I'm revising grammar - tenses, endings etc, and then vocab. I think the thing that's most likely to throw you are irregular verb stems, so I need to have another look at those :)

I'm doing Greek as an extra-curricular subject, but I've had a teacher to help who has been amazing, so I guess I'm very lucky there :)

Posted: 11-05-12 20:03 by Kathy

I know the Herodotus really well but I keep getting bad marks in my essays :( I do quote the Greek in my answer - at least once per point. Yes, I hate participles... I'm pretty good with vocab; the language papers aren't so hard for me (in Latin we did a 402 language paper and I only dropped one mark! :D ).

Posted: 19-05-12 16:55 by Tristan

Oh... well, I guess just look for your strongest possible points and make sure you're answering the question? I'm sure you'll be fine - I need to practise my essay writing too. Yeah, there are quite a few participles... at least we have a bit longer until the language papers.

Wow - your Latin sounds amazing! I find Latin a bit easier as well - maybe it's just that I do more of it. Since my Greek is extra-curricular, it does get pushed around a bit by other subjects, which is NOT good :(

Good luck for Friday!

Posted: 19-05-12 20:14 by Kathy

Hum. Going to look at it later. Yep, I've got half term between literature and language :D

Latin literature isn't such fun though :(

Thanks, you too :)

Posted: 20-05-12 08:06 by Tristan

Kathy wrote:

Oh... well, I guess just look for your strongest possible points and make sure you're answering the question? I'm sure you'll be fine - I need to practise my essay writing too. Yeah, there are quite a few participles... at least we have a bit longer until the language papers.

Wow - your Latin sounds amazing! I find Latin a bit easier as well - maybe it's just that I do more of it. Since my Greek is extra-curricular, it does get pushed around a bit by other subjects, which is NOT good :(

Good luck for Friday!

How did you do? :)

Posted: 04-01-13 16:27 by Tristan