2012 exam ,english literature how do i understand how to answer the Questions HOW &WHAT. ? his is for unseen poetry and also thr poems in the blue AQA Antholgy book Please help!

• 0 votes

unseeen poetry how do i answer the How and what questions

example:how does the reader describe this poem

Posted Sat 31st March, 2012 @ 10:42 by sasiane saku

3 Answers

• 1 vote

Hey, at school you must of annotated poems using the SMILE technique (Structure, Message, Imagery, Language, Emotion) the same way you can annotate the unseen poem in the exam. Normally the question is very vague something like what feelings is the writer getting across or something since you most likely haven't seen that poem before hence the name. The best thing you can do is find a past paper on the Aqa website and look at what the mark scheme asks for and this will help you further on how to answer the question.

I hope i could help you if your still stuck just ask any other questions you need :)

Answered Sat 31st March, 2012 @ 15:08 by Tasmiax
  • 0 votes

Thankyou very much I will look on the AQA website! Thanksx

Answered Sat 31st March, 2012 @ 15:27 by sasiane saku
  • 0 votes

There is also a CGP revision guide on unseen poetry if you're stuck, I have a copy and find it quite useful but other people I know don't.  We use a similar thing to SMILE except our teacher says SPOILT [ structure, poetic devices, own opinion, language and themes] :D 

Answered Wed 4th April, 2012 @ 23:03 by Shivani Kotecha