- Why was the USA so hostile to communism after 1945?
- The Long Telegram, which heavily influenced Trumans Hard-line approach, was aggressive and expanisonist
- US military and industrial careas put pressure on the govnerment to to kepp arms levels high
- Truman was an amateur in foreign policy and so adopted a hard-lined foreign policy to compensate
- The US failed to understand the Soviet's Union's obsession with security and merely saw them as trying to one up America
- Appeasement against Hitler had failed and so it had to be hostile
- US industry wanted to protect its markets in Europe which were under threat by communism
- The USSR was seen a representing a political system that was a direct threat to capitlism