- Why attitudes to the roles of men and women in the UK have changed
- WWI and WWII women had to take men's jobs and proved they could do them just as well.
- The development of equal rights for women in other countries made it difficult to claim it was not needed e.g. New Zealand was the first country to give women equal political rights.
- Women were successful as councillors and made important contributions to the developments in health and social care.
- The suffragette movement to gain equal voting and political rights for women. Showed men in authority that women were no longer prepared to be treated second class.