- Weber: Religion as a force for change: Introduction
- "The Protestant Ethic and the spirit of Capitalism.": Religious beliefs of Calvinism (a form of Protestantism founded by John Calvin during the reformation) helped to bring about the emergence of modern Capitalism in the 16th and 17th century in Northern Europe.
- Many past societies had Capitalism for greed and wealth, unlike Modern Capitalism for the pursuit of rational profit.
- "The spirit of Capitalism:" The systematic, efficient, rational pursuit of profit for its own sake rather than for consumption.
- There's an "elective affinity," (unconscious similarity to the Calvinists' beliefs and attitudes.