- Weaknesses of the HOC
- Govts are increasingly ignoring Parliament and do not consult groups or the public directly.
- Govts usually have a comfortable majority, allowing them to dominate MPs through patronage and discipline.
- MPs have a limited role in developing legislation.
- MPs have insufficient time and support to be able to call the govt to account, effectively.
- Ministers also avoid intrusive questions.
- The HOC is not socially representative
- It lacks female members and lacks members from minority ethnic groups.
- The legislative standing committees, are largely controlled by party whips, making their amendment weak.