- Water sharing treaties and frameworks
- Helsinki Rules - have an 'equitable use' and 'equitable shares' concept.
- UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) water convention promotes the joint management and conservation of shared freshwater ecosystems.
- EU Water Framework Directive (2000) committed all members to ensure their 'status' of water bodies were one nautical mile offshore.
- UN Water Courses Convention offers guidelines for protection and use of transboundary rivers like the Nile.
- International cooperation keeps the world at peace, but this may not be forever.