- The Working Memory Model (WMM)
- The WMM is was proposed by Baddeley and Hitch as a way o emplaining some of the research findings that could not be accounted fo by the multi-store model.
- WMM is essentially a multi-component short-term mmory system. it consists of a central executive, which is a supervisory system in overall control, and two slave systems called the phonological loop and the visuo-spatial sketchpad.
- Evidence for the distinction betweenthe components comes from studies based on the dual task technique where participants were asked to do tasks simultaneouslyand performance is then compared to performance when each task is undertaken alone.
- The model continues to be very influential and has a number of pratical applications
- Working Memory can account for mucn of the research evidence into memory, but it is still not the full explaination and work continues to be carried out to refine the model .