- The Tet Offensive
- During the Tet New Year Holiday, January 1968
- Viet Cong attacked over 100 cities & other military targets
- One Viet Cong commando unit tried to capture US embassy in Saigon
- Viet Cong thought that the people of South Vietnam would rise up with them, they didn't
- The Viet Cong lost around 10,000 experienced fighters.
- The USA was spending $20 billion a year on the war effort.
- US and SOuth Vietnamese forces quickly recaptured land but this used lots of air power and artillery. Many civilians were killed
- media coverage of the Vietnam war became less positive and people began asking difficult questions.