- The Symposium
- Invitation were small statues showing people walking to a party.
- The women would make garlands and decorate the andron.
- The kyrios would find the best food and drink.
- Entertainers were hired, dancers, musicians, cortesans.
- Arrival and Dinner
- It started in the early evening.
- They sat two to a couch in the andron, leaving their right arm free for drinking.
- Dinner would be served on three legged tables. Three course meal.
- First they would pour a libation and sing a hymn. They would also drink unmixed wine as a toast.
- Slaves would remove the tables and give the guests water to wash and anoint them with perfumes and garlands.
- The symposiarch is elected. He will pick the strength and amount of wine to be drunk, then the size of the drinking cups, number of toasts and frequency of rounds.
- The entertainers would arrive. They might play drinking games, such a kottabos, or sing skolia, drinking songs.
- There could also be intellectual discussions.
- For fun!
- For business deals.
- To make political friendships.
- To find a husband for your daughter.
- To have intellectual discussions.
Similar Classical Civilization resources: