- The Right to Life
- Universal declaration of human rights: Although men/women of age have the right to marry and found a family, their right to children is ambiguous.
- The want of a child for some is a basic human instinct and is hard to ignore, especially when they cannot have children unassisted.
- The Catholic view
- God is the lord of life and death
- If you cannot have children then you shouldn't interfere.
- Assisted reproductive technology such as IVF involved replacing unhealthy embryos inside the womb with healthier embryos from outside the womb.
- The remaining embryos are often destroyed or used in research for genetic engineering.
- Peter Singer: up to 14 days, an embryo could divide into multiple people, which calls into question whether they are considered people or not