- The Putnams
- wealthy farmers
- greedy for land
- past conflict between the Putnams "& nurses
- Suspicious & resentful
- lost many of their children
- 7 children, no explanation
- accused by Giles Corey of conspiracy to murder
- driven by desire for more land & revenge
- want to "settle old scores"
- Thomas Putnam: a vindictive man
- contempt for Parris
- man with a grudge
- "there is a murdering witch among us bound to keep herself in the dark"
- "There are hurtful vengeful spirits layin' hands on these children"
- eager to believe in witchcraft
Similar English Literature resources: