- The multi-store model of memory
- Uses information from the 5 senses.
- Information is encoded in a different way depending on each store and all have different duration and capacity.
- Information travels in a 1-way direction in order to reach the LTM, yet information can be brought back to the STM.
- Sensory store
- Holds information for a very brief period of time.
- Information can be transferred into the STM as long as attention is paid to the information
- Sperling: Participants saw a grid of digits and letters. They were either asked to write down all 12 or they would hear a tone and have to write down the letters on the row associated with the tone. Recall was poorer for all 12 than 1 row.
- Duration of 7+/-2
- Limited capacity
- Brief duration
Similar Psychology resources: