- The Multi-Store Model (MSM)
- Atkinson and Shiffrin (1968)
- Strong evidence to support claims for duration, capacity and encoding.
- Includes details of structure and process.
- Has stimulated a lot of research which leads to increased understanding.
- Evidence for the three stores: Serial position effect (Glanzer and Cunitz), Role of hippocampus (Squire et al).
- STM does't function as a unitary story, e.g. KF (Shallice and Warrington).
- LTM is not a unitary store: e.g. Semantic, Episodic, Procedural memories.
- STM is not independent of LTM (Ruchkin et al).
- Processing is more important than maintence rehearsal.
Similar Psychology resources: