- The Healing of the Man Born Blind
- Took place during the feast of Tabernacles - the festival of Light.
- The man was born blind, many people thought this was the result of the wrongdoing of he or his parents but Jesus said it was in order to show "the glory of God" and "so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."
- Jesus used mud and made a paste // Genesis 2: God creates Adam from dust - blind man becomes new person.
- "Go and wash" - baptism = spiritual light, faith in Christ.
- "I am the light of the world" reveals Jesus to be God. Isiah: "The Lord shall be your everlasting light" + Genesis: "Let there be light" + Psalm: "The Lord is my light and salvation"
- The mans faith is shown to progress by first adressing Jesus as "a man", then "a prophet" and finally "Messiah"
- The man recieved physical + spiritual sight ~ The Pharisees may physically see but are spiritually blind.
- R.Kysar: "The overcoming of blindness is more than a physical healing... blindness suggests darkness, the healing of blindness, light."
Similar Religious Studies resources: