- The healing of the crippled man at the pool (5:1-30)
- Gathering place for the sick at the pool of Bethesda
- angel would stir the waters and the first to get in would be cured
- Crippled man had been there for 38 years
- 38 years that the Israelites had been in the desert waiting for the law
- sinful man who has not been able to enter new life as the law has failed him
- Jesus asked the man if he wanted to be healed but the man said no one would help him into the pool.
- healing was both physical and spiritual.
- "take up your matt and walk"
- Told the Jewish authorities that the miracle was preformed on the Sabbath
- There is a place with five covered colonnades representative of the five books of the law (torah)
- Marsh "are you happy living under the law of Moses ?"
- Sabbath controversy
- "lame would leap like a deer" Isaiah 35
Similar Religious Studies resources: