- The feeding of the 5,000 (6:1-15)
- mountainside in galilee
- At the time of the Passover
- Great teaching and sermon on the mount from this place.
- showed Jesus to be the new Moses
- Like moses jesus fed his people
- "forerunner of the messianic banquet"
- 12 baskets symbolic of the 12 tribes of Israel
- This reflects the Jewish custom of giving thanks for the unleavened bread at Passover and the Christian Eucharist when the bread represents Christ’s body on the cross
- Replacement theology idea ... for everyone not just the jews
- "the blind will see and the lame will leap like a deer" (Isaiah 35)
- the people wanted a "king like David" who would free them from their oppressors
- Reveals jesus is the messiah as he gives the bread of God to the people
- Like in the exodus story Jesus is always working despite not being asked to.
Similar Religious Studies resources: