- The events in Hungary
- In June Rakosi was opposed by a group within the Hungarian Communist Party.
- Rakosi appealed to Moscow for help. This was refused and he was 'retired'.
- Gero replaced him and following a huge demonstration on 23 October, he was replaced by Nagy.
- The Soviet tanks began to withdraw but Nagy announced that Hungary was to leave the Warsaw Pact and that there would be free democratic elections.
- In two weeks of fighting, 3000 Hungarian were killed.
- Hard-line soviet control was re-established under Kadar and Nagy was captured and hanged.