- THE COTSWOLDS GAMES
- first Olympic Games were held in 1612 by a man called Robert Dover
- believed Games would bring rich & poor together, this may have explained why the event captured the public imagination
- the Games took place in a natural amphitheatre on what is known today as Dovers Hill in Gloucestershire
- They were held on the Thursday & Friday of Whit-week which normally fell between mid-May and mid-June.
- Dover lead the games on horseback and
- Events included horse-racing, coursing with hounds, running, jumping, dancing, sledgehammer throwing, fighting with swords