- The benefits and disadvantages With Oil
- Governments embarked on ambitious projects which needed huge loans. Nigeria are now in deep debt.
- many of the jobs in the oil industry taken by foreigners.
- country became totally dependent upon oil prices fell Nigeria was badly hit.
- Nigerian agriculture collapsed as people left the countryside to seek wealth in the cities. Agricultural exports fell from from £200 million in 1971 to £95 million
- Nigeria's cities have grown far too rapidly. Lagos population grew by 300,000 a year during the early 1980s
- Big increase in government income from oil revenue
- Oil productions and related industry provides many jobs
- Great improvements to education and health
- through its oil Nigeria has a more important voice in African and world affairs
- Development of new industries such as oil refining
- Increased personal wealth caused a flood of imports of consumers goods which hit Nigerians own industries. eg cars
Similar Geography resources: