- The nature and functions of a constitution
- A set of principles that establishes distribution of power within a political system.
- Determine how political power should be distributed within the state.
- Establish the political processes that make the system work.
- What the limits of governmental power should be i.e. what is the competence of government.
- They assert the rights of citizens against the state.
- Constitutions establish the rules by which nationality is established i.e. who is entitled to be a citizen and how outsiders may become citizens.
- It is essential that a constitution contains within itself the rules for its amendment.
- The concept that a political system is governed by a constitution and that political institutions are bound by constitutional rules which are binding.
Similar Government & Politics resources: