- Created by: laurenellxs2002
- Created on: 05-04-19 19:25
- Why - and how - did the first settlers move westwards?
- The first white Americans to move west were the mountain men, who went to the Rockies to hunt beaver, bear and elk in the 1820s and 1830s.
- 1841, a wagon train pioneered the 3,200km-long Oregon Trail to the woodland areas of the north-west coast of America.
- 1844, 1,500 settlers made the dangerous journey westwards.
- 1844, a few farmers managed to cross the Rockies to California.
Similar History resources: