- The Dark Ages - Disease And Infection
- After the collapse of the Roman Empire, the only strong institution in Europe was the Church. It had a great deal of influence on the way people lived their lives.
- The Bible teaches that the sick should be cared for. From the7th century AD monasteries began to be built and they provided treatment for the sick.
- Monks Experimented with herbs and natural cures and over hundreds of years built up a great deal of practical knowledge.
- Beyond the influence of the Church, there was a return to superstitious beliefs, charms, zodiac charts.The attack by the Vikings from the 8th century meant that large areas of Europe reverted to paganism