- Structured Interviews
- ask the same standardised questions each time
- The questions are closed with set multiple choice answers
- They give quantitative data and they're very reliable.
- They're used in large scale social surveys.
- The interviewer can explain and clarify the questions
- Structured interviews can ask the same questions as a questionnaire but they get a much higher response rate.
- They're more expensive that questionnaires - you need to pay for the interviewer.
- The interviewer has to follow the list of questions so they can't ask for more detail if the respondent says something particularly interesting.