- Stress Mangement
- Can be addictive.
- Increase the activity of GABA which reduces serotonin and noradrenaline.
- Reduce brain arousal.
- Side effects of BZ's
- Increased agressiveness
- Impairment of memory
- Some studies show links to increased risk of diabetes.
- Beta-Blockers (BB's)
- Reduce activity of Sympathetic Nervous System
- Reduce heart rate and blood pressure. They can cause cardiovascular disorders and reduce the effectiveness of the immune system.
- Strengths of drug therapy.
- Little effort required.
- Take pills and get effects - fast relief.
- No time, stress or motivated needed.
- Weaknesses of drug therapy.
- Side effects
- Treats the symptoms but not the cause.
Similar Psychology resources: