- Stereotyping and labelling
- 'a fixed, over generalised belief about a particular group or class of people'
- By stereotping, we infer that someone has all the characteristics and abilities that we assume all members of that group have.
- Negative stereotyping can lead to social categorisation, one of the reasons for prejudice and discrimination.
- Labelling is defining or describing a person in terms of his or her behaviour.
- Once labelled, an individual may take on the characteristics associated with the label and become what they have been labelled.. self-fulfilling prophecy.