- Salami Tactics
- Poland: A coalition government took power in 1945 but Stalin arrested all the non-communists and forced the other non-communists into exile by 1947.
- Czechoslovakia: A left wing coalition was elected in 1945 but by 1948 the communists had banned all other parties and killed/imprisoned their leaders
- Hungary: A communist government was elected in 1945 and its leader Rakosi used the secret police to remove all his opponents by 1947.
- Romania: A left wing coalition was elected in 1945. By 1947 the communists had taken control.
- Bulgaria: A left wing coalition gained power in 1945. The communists then executed leaders of all the other parties.
- Greece: Communist guerillas were fighting to depose the monarchy
- Albania: Communists took power in 1945 without any opposition.
- Yugoslavia: In 1945 the communists took power under Marshall Tito but he split with the USSR in 1948.
- Italy and France: There was a strong communist party which belonged to Cominform and had plans to take over the government
Similar History resources: