- Created by: dav09
- Created on: 24-06-20 12:59
- Religion was seen as a source of opposition because they believe in God and they faith before anything else
- The salvation army, Christian Scientists and the Seventh Day Adventist Church all disappeared from Germany
- About one third of Jehovah’s witnesses were killed in concentration camps because they were pacifists and refused to serve in the army.
- Despite their many extreme views, the Nazis won the support of some Christians by emphasising their belief in the importance of marriage, the family and moral values. Things that are important to Christians.
- In August 1941 one of Germany’s best known religious’ leaders Catholic Archbishop Galen, openly criticised the Nazis for their use of terror tactics euthanasia and concentration camps. As a result, he was put under house arrest until the end of the war.
- Hitler promised to respect the Catholic Church.
- Christians feared communism because it was anti-religious and Hitler promised to destroy communism
- in 1933 Hitler sign a Concordat (agreement) with the Pope, the head of the Catholic Church
- the Protestant Church restructured into the reich church by the Nazi Party
- in 1937 the Pope Pius XI [the eleventh] denounce the Nazi regime through an Encyclical
- The people called who joined the Reich Church were called german christians
- Ludwig Muller became the first Reich bishop
- the group, that opposed the Nazis, was led by Martin Niemoeller were the confessional church
- 800 pastors were arrested as a reaction to Martin Niemoeller's group