- Reasons for starting a business
- They want to be their own boss and make their own decisions
- They want to keep all the profits of a business for themselves
- They need a job and starting their own business is one way of making sure that they are employed and, hopefully, that they earn money
- They have an interest or hobby and this grows into a business
- They want to prove something to themselves by showing they can start a business for themselves. This may give them a sense of satisfaction
- They want to provide a service for others. Some businesses are set up to help other people, for example to provide a post office in the local community or help run sports activities fr young people. These are social enterprises and are not necessarily profit making.