- Quarrying Limestone
- Creates noise pollution
- Air pollution
- Lots of dust pollutes the air, causing asthma and possibly cancer in later life.
- Destroys habitats and landscapes
- Creates jobs
- Boosts local economy
- Needed for building materials
- To quarry limestone you must remove the top layer of soil and/or waste rock by drilling or using explosives
- Once limestone face is exposed drilling/cutting the limestone begins. The saw usually has diamond in it to make it sharper
- The limestone blocks are then taken away to a factory, usually a concrete factory. In a concrete factory the limestone is put in a rotary kiln where hot air and limestone is pumped in and 'lime' is produced as well as CO2. This is then used to produce concrete.
- Calcium carbonate ->(heat)-> Calcium oxide + Carbon Dioxide
Similar Chemistry resources: