Psychological therapies for schizophrenia

HideShow resource information
View mindmap
  • Psychological therapies for sch - CBT!
    • The aim of CBT is to: (1) help the patient to identify delusions, (2) challenge and modify the delusionary beliefs, (3) challenge the delusions by looking at evidence, (4) help the patient to being to test the reality of the evidence.   Most people will require between 8 and 20 sessions over the space of 6 to 12 months.
    • Effectiveness - shown to be effective at reducing the positive symptoms.
      • Effectiveness - Chadwick & Lowe 1993 found significant reductions in delusions in 10 out of 12 patients.
      • Effectiveness - Kingdon & Turkington 1996 found it helps 70% of patients, although the other 30% may deteriorate.
    • Appropriateness - Appropriate for positive symptoms, not negative symptoms.
      • Appropriateness - Doesnt take into account biological factors or bio chemistry.
      • Appropriateness is reduced because many people drop out of CBT.


No comments have yet been made

Similar Psychology resources:

See all Psychology resources »See all Schizophrenia resources »