- Created by: Hetts02
- Created on: 13-06-18 19:51
- The liver and kidneys help process proteins. Too much protein in the diet puts a lot of pressure on these organs, which can be dangerous.
- Without protein, growth is slowed down, especially in children who are still growing.
- Because hair, skin and nails don't grow fats, they can get into poor condition.
- The immune system can't work properly without protein - this means wounds don't heal as quickly and people have a higher risk of catching infections.
- People struggle to digest food properly, which means some nutrients aren't taken in by the body.
- Protein deficieny can also lead to oedema - a build up of fluid in the body tht causes swelling
- In severe cases, a disease called kwashiorkor can develop. A symptom of the disease is odedema around the stomach, which is why some severly malnourished children have swollen abdomens
- Alternative Proteins
- Mycoprotein: Made from mushroom like fungus and egg white.
- Soya: HBV protein. Eaten whole but must be cooked to remove toxixity. Can be processes to make other alternatives such as tofu and TVP
- Tofu: Made by curdling soya milk. Can have different textures depending on its water content.
- TVP: made from soya beans.
Similar Design & Technology: Food Technology resources: