- Praise song for my mother
- Throughout the poem she is looking back on memories of her mother, at the end reminds herself to let go. "Go to your wide futures, you said"
- Metaphors in the poem are open for interpretation- all interpretations are positive then are right because her mother was everything good.
- Language- "mantling" covering and protecting her
- Strong natural imagery- "water" essential to life, "moon's eye" always watching over, "red gill" helps her to survive.
- Lack of punctuation used- flowing and continuous love for her mother, never ending, pausing or stopping.
- "the flame tree"- images from her home. her mothers passions.
- Images become warmer down the poem, shows growing love.
Similar English Literature resources: