- Created by: caramorton
- Created on: 03-01-18 18:30
- Phillipines: A Disaster Hot Spot
- LIC- 80% of the population live below the poverty line.
- In the Pacific Ring of Fire.
- Island so increased vulnerability as surrouded by water.
- Tropical climate charactrised by high temp & high humidity
- On a destructive plate boundary.
- Average population density of 240 people per km²
- 74% of the population is vulnerable.
- Typhoon: December 2006
- Causes: Mayon, Phillipines most active volcanobegan emitting lava in mid July
- Impacts: 200 killed,, villages wiped out, 22,000 people affected, power/ telephone lines brought down, houses damaged
- Earthquake: 2002 Mindanao Earthquake
- Causes: Phillipines sits on several microplates between 2 convergent plates.
- Impact: 15 killed, 100 injured, 800 buildings damaged, 2 secondary hazards
- Volcanic hazards: 22 active volcanoes.
- 1991 Mt
- Causes:Small explosions/ emissions of steam/minor ash- continued to increase until strong explosions culminated (largest eruption of century
- Impacts: Cloud formed that stretched 11,000km from South East Asia to Central Africa
- 1991 Mt Pinatubo Eruption
- Landslides: 2006 Guinsaugon Landslide
- Impacts: 2,000 killed, 1875 evacuated, survivors moved to South East (550-600 miles away)
- Causes: Heavy rainfall (200cm in 10 days), steep terrain, deforestation, shallow roots, underlying rock impermeable, area on geological fault