- Over all evaluation of the behaviourist approach
- deterministic=see all behaviour as determined by past experiences that have been conditioned. This ignores any influence of free will, and that free will is simply an illusion.
- Reductionist= animals are seen as passive and machine like responders to the environment and they have no conscious insight into their behaviour. The approach ignores mental events during learning.
- Evidence=pavlovs dogs support classical conditioning theory adding validity and credibility to the approach
- Application=can be applied to the everyday world operant conditioning works with a token economy system in prison if they show good behaviour they get tokens which can be exchanged for privileges.
- Methods= behaviourism is influential and the scientific elements provided it with credibilty and status
- However the problem with using a lab study is its artificial environment which lack ecological validity.
Similar Psychology resources: