- 'uncle figure'
- extension of his role as a school master and his age and because he's a father
- good shape
- 'tall, thin man' pg1
- 'physically as hard as nails'pg1
- 'your such a quiet old thing' pg6
- 'fine head, with close cropped, iron grey hair' ' looks about forty five' pg1
- 'poor old man' pg4
- oldest member of the comapny
- around 45, married and has two kids
- 2nd in command
- he played for the ' harlequins'
- humble doest boast of his achievements
- confronting and reassuring
- ' a bit of nerve strain that's all'
- doest complain when he's told about the raid
- calm about the prospects of ' a big attack'
- dutiful and loyal to stanhope
- wise approachable and loyal
Similar English Literature resources: