- Never Let Me Go - Quotes
- "We took away your art because we thought it would reveal your souls. Or to put it more finely, we did it to prove you had souls at all."
- "You need to remember that. If you're to have decent lives, you have to know who you are and what lies ahead of you, every one of you."
- "If you were a boy and a girl and you were in love with each other, really, properly in love, and if you could show it, then the people who run Hailsham, they sorted it out for you. They sorted it out so you could have a few years together before you began your donations
- "Memories, even your most precious ones, fade surprisingly quickly. But I don't go along with that. The Memories I value most, I don't ever see them fading."
- "None of you will go to America. None of you will work in Supermarkets. None of you will do anything, except live the life that has already been set out for you. You will become adults, but only briefly. Before you are old, before you are even middle ages, you will start to donate your vital organs. And sometime around your third or fourth donation, your short life will be completed.
- "What I'm not sure about, is if our lives have been so different from the lives of people we save. We all complete. Maybe none of us really understand what we've lived through, or feel we've had enough time."
- "I half closed my eyes and imagined this was the spot where everything I'd ever lost since my childhood had washed up, and I was now standing here in front of it, and if I waited long enough, a tiny figure would appear on the horizon across the field and gradually get larger until I'd see it was Tommy, and he'd wave, and maybe even call."
- "We all know it. We're modelled from trash. Junkies, prostitutes, winos, tramps. Convicts, maybe, just so long as they're not psychos. That's what we come from. We all know it, so why don't we say it?"