- Negative Impact of WW2
- City authorities were unsympathetic towards Blacks.
- They were fighting for freedom abroad, but had no freedom back home.
- White supremacists found it easier to attack Black people.
- Blacks migrated to cities due to mechanization of farming.
- Alexandra, LA. Drunken black soldiers arrest led to a 2hr race riot.
- Black troops, White military police, state troopers, local police, and civilians participated. 13 Blacks were shot.
- Jealousy over the best jobs. White males disliked black men working alongside White women.
- Urban shortages were severe.
- People crowded into places such as Detroit, and whites saw blacks as rivals for homes.
- Tension between blacks and whites who found themselves in close proximity.
- Still no voting rights.
Similar History resources: