- Created by: sky1234
- Created on: 26-10-18 23:01
- My Last Duchess - Context
- Browning loved history and European culture (the story is based on the life of an Italian Duke from the sixteenth century).
- The Duke is Alfonso II who ruled in Northern Italy in the late 1500s.
- the poem s set in 1564, three years after the death of his first wife Lucrezia, the Duchess.
- Lucrezia died aged 17, only two years after she married the Duke. Historically, Lucrezia is said to have died in suspicious circumstances and might have been poisoned.
- In the poem the Duke shows an emissary(a representative or messenger) a picture of his late wife and remarks on her character
- men had more power. women would get married at the age of 12 to gain support (financial) from their partners.