- "My heart again, began to race."
- Vital organ for survival, suggest vulnerability in a life threatening situation
- Common occurrence - anxiety due to supernatural events
- Metaphor that the heart is beating excessively which shows fear and desperation - personification
- Sudden change and shock, contradicted by "again"
- Pause/break reader stops and becomes sympathetic
- Links to the rest of the book
- Extreme emotions eg. sudden sadness at the end, fear in "Christmas Eve"
- 1st Sighting is slightly sympathetic as she is unknown but this contrasts with other sightings later on
- Emotional responses of young and naive but then he becomes older and is more affected
Similar English Literature resources: