- Military Reforms (1874)
- Conscription was compulsory for all classes (over 20's)
- Length of military service was reduced from 25 to 15 years.
- 9 years were spent in reserve
- Having an education could reduce the length of service.
- Military colonies were abolished
- Welfare improved
- Corporal punishment was abolished
- The army could no longer be used as a punishment.
- Military started to properly train officers.
- Promotion was now awarded by merit rather than by social class.
- Weaponry and strategic railways improved.
Similar History resources: