- Medical progress did WW1 bring?
- Broken bones were common- surgeons developed new techniques to repair them. Skin grafts formed basis for plastic surgery.
- Head wounds were common, eye,nose,throat surgery improved
- Brain surgery also improved.
- Millions of wounded- chance for doctors to experiment with new techniques.
- X-rays were discovered before the war, became routine finding bullets and shrapel in the body.
- Blood transfusions were effectively used during the war.
- Methods of transporting and storing blood it to where it was needed.
- Bullet wounds carried infection into the body, needed new ways but never successful.
- Many surgeons who had learnt there skills on the battlefield were set up as specialist surgeons after the war.
Similar History resources: