- Mary's Background + Historians
- Philip of Spain was Catholic.
- Disliked Anne Boleyn.
- Bitter - Angry towards Protestants and was forced towards it.
- - Rarely saw her parents, seperated from mother at a young age.
- Declared illegitimate, fell out with Henry (her father)
- Anger at Henry strengthened Catholicism.
- Stayed away from Edward's court to avoid Protestantism
- Parliament petitioned her to marry Edward Courtnenay.
- Angry as didn't want to obey subject.
- Wanted a Catholic heir.
- Historians - No positive achievements
- Pollard: Sterility was conclusive note
- Displayed as arch opponent to true religion and friend of England's enemy Spain.
- Victim of Propaganda? (Williams)
Similar History resources: