- Relentless images of despair.
- Repetition is used with "Mark"
- Personal Feel but there is only rare mentions of first person
- Use of oxymorons
- General Ideas
- No one can escape this despair.
- The People in power are fine while the poor suffer
- Important Quotes
- "Black'ning Church"
- "Runs in blood down palace walls"
- "Blasts the new-born infant's tear"
- "The marriage hearse"
- "Youthful Harlot's Curse"
- Rhythm shoes feet
- ABAB Rhyme scheme
- Dramatic Monologue
- Context, Theme and Links
- Blake questioned Church Teachings
- Emotions of anger and being hopeless
- Power of Humans, Anger and Individual Experiences
- Can be linked to "The Emigree"
Similar English Literature resources:
AQA Pastoral Literature (A2) - Blake key quotes, summaries, context, form, structure, language and concerns!