- LIBERALISM CORE VALUES
- Feudalism - freedom for all individuals didn't arrive untill the end of Feudalism
- Thinking for yourself as a capable individual
- Natural Rights - Individuals are born with rights to life, property and liberty. God being the creator of all and creating individuals, these rights are 'god given' so can never be taken away. -JOHN LOCKE
- ATOMISM- society itself does not exist, merely a collection of individuals
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY - Look after those who cannot themselves. Build a society where everyone is capable of self realization
- The ability to think or act as one wishes
- Harm Principle - Individuals freedoms cant cause harm for anyone else
- Two Types of freedom
- POSITIVE FREEDOM - ability to be ones master, help them to reach their full potential
- NEGATIVE FREEDOM - freedom is each person being left alone, free from interference.
- Idea of Pluralism - belief in diversity or choice, political power should be widely and evenly dispersed.
- Balanced society, one not riven by conflict each group is essential to another, employers need labor, laborers need work
- Age of reason - the Enlightenment era which released mankind and challenged the divine right of the monarchy and the church, individuals began to be free with thought.
- Rationalism - Inspired Liberalism, Humans are rational thinkers, and are capable of pursing their best interests.
- AGAINST Paternalism
- Social Justice - distribution of rewards and benefits to society e.g. wages, healthcare
- Foundational equality - born equal, same moral worth for everyone and rights within society the same too
- Difference blind - governments should ignore all differences between individuals when creating laws and policies
Similar Government & Politics resources:
‘Liberalism is hugely influential in British politics, moulding the value systems and policies of all the mainstream political parties.’ Discuss. (30 marks)
‘Liberalism is compatible with both conservative and social democratic thinking.’ Discuss. (30 marks)