- LIBERALISM CORE VALUES
- Feudalism - freedom for all individuals didn't arrive untill the end of Feudalism
- Thinking for yourself as a capable individual
- Natural Rights - Individuals are born with rights to life, property and liberty. God being the creator of all and creating individuals, these rights are 'god given' so can never be taken away. -JOHN LOCKE
- ATOMISM- society itself does not exist, merely a collection of individuals
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY - Look after those who cannot themselves. Build a society where everyone is capable of self realization
- The ability to think or act as one wishes
- Harm Principle - Individuals freedoms cant cause harm for anyone else
- Two Types of freedom
- POSITIVE FREEDOM - ability to be ones master, help them to reach their full potential
- NEGATIVE FREEDOM - freedom is each person being left alone, free from interference.
- Idea of Pluralism - belief in diversity or choice, political power should be widely and evenly dispersed.
- Balanced society, one not riven by conflict each group is essential to another, employers need labor, laborers need work
- Age of reason - the Enlightenment era which released mankind and challenged the divine right of the monarchy and the church, individuals began to be free with thought.
- Rationalism - Inspired Liberalism, Humans are rational thinkers, and are capable of pursing their best interests.
- AGAINST Paternalism
- Social Justice - distribution of rewards and benefits to society e.g. wages, healthcare
- Foundational equality - born equal, same moral worth for everyone and rights within society the same too
- Difference blind - governments should ignore all differences between individuals when creating laws and policies
Similar Government & Politics resources:
‘Liberalism is hugely influential in British politics, moulding the value systems and policies of all the mainstream political parties.’ Discuss. (30 marks)