- Safe Use of Knives
- use the appropriate sized knife for the food to be cut
- keep knives sharp - a blunt knife is dangerous
- carry knives by the handle, blade downwards pointing towards the floor.
- pass to others by the handle
- never try to catch a falling knife
- do not leave knives on the edge of chopping boards or worktops
- wash up carefully with sharp edge of blade facing away
- never place knives in washing up water where they cannot be seen
- store knives in a block or drawer
- handles should be grease free
- use correct hand holds when cutting e.g. claw, bridge, arch, etc.
- peel away from you, not into the hand
- Kitchen Knives
- Vegetable knife
- Paring knife
- Palette knife
- Potato Peeler
- Boning knife
- Filleting knife
- Meat cleaver
- Cook' knife (Chef's knife, chopping knife, general purpose knife)
- First Aid Treatment for a Cut Finger
- Wash, dry and apply a blue waterproof plaster.
- If bleeding persists apply pressure and lift injured part above level of heart.
- Wipe clean with antiseptic wipe.
- Record in accident book.
Similar Design & Technology: Food Technology resources: