- Key terms for mass media
- pluralism - theories about the mass media that see variety and competition as healthy signs of a working democracy
- marxist - someone who believes in the idea of karl marx and sees the main divisions in society as being based on social class
- elite - a small dominate group that may own and control the mass media
- world view - a general view of the way society works
- neoliberalism-a political approach based on the belief that the government should limit their activity to maintaining 'law and order'
- Tabloid - popular newspapers generally published in a smaller format that the so called 'quality press'
- propaganda - the selection and control of information usually for political ends.
- censorship - preventing certain information from becoming publicly known
- gatekeeper -one who has editorial control over media content
- spin - managing the message to influence the way in which events are reported
- digitalisation - radio and TV can now be broadcasted through digital signal, making it better quality then ever before
- interactivity - views and readers can now take part and control certain aspects of the media
- Convergence - all aspects of mass media are all on one device e.g phone
Similar Sociology resources: