- If present trends in global warming continue...
- Polar Ice Caps Melt - causing extinction of plants & animals and a rise in sea levels
- Thermal Expansion - sea level rise > flood low-lying land, major cities & fertile land. Salt extends further up rivers > difficult for plants to grow
- Higher Temperatures - crop failure, only xerophytes able to survive > distribtion of animals changes. Only animals that feed on xerophytes and adept to hot, dry conditions would survive.
- Greater rainfall / intense storms > disturbance in climate patterns > distribution of plants/animals changes.
- Life cycle & populations of insect pests would alter > tropical diseases could spread to the poles.