- How much was Stalin involved in the Terror?
- There is no doubt that Stalin was closely involved in setting the Terror in progress, or in key decisions about the Show Trials. He personally signed the death warrants for thousands of the victims.
- He also made a key speech in March 1939 at the Party Congress that brought the full force of the Terror to an end.
- What is open to debate is how much of the Terror was directed from the Centre, and how much a result of local forces getting out of control.
- Were some of the worst acts of Terror either settling of old scores or examples of enthusiasm for building socialism?